Monday 2 May 2011

Geronimo! A Review of Doctor Who S06E01 The Impossible Astronaut

“Hello, this is the President of the United States”. These nine words from the prequel launched Doctor Who series 6 into existence and if the first episode is anything to go by, oh what a series it will be. From the first scene of finding a naked Doctor underneath a woman’s dress to Amy and Rory watching the Doctor wave to them through a TV screen, the opening minutes really kick stated the episode in a seemingly quiet way. Steven Moffat then pulled out all the stops and killed the 1103 Doctor straight from the start, thereby, making future episodes unpredictable. This episode really was good and I picked up only one continuity error: when on the beach at the beginning, the Doctor stands up when he sees the astronaut and he has the wine bottle in his hand. As he starts to walk off, he still has it in his hand, yet when he reached the astronaut, the bottle is nowhere to be seen.

There are several points I’d like to open for discussion, the first being the little girls identity. Who is she? I’ve read many theories on her identity with many coming to the conclusion that she is either, River Song, Amy’s child, or both. I think that while all theories are plausible and I have come to those conclusions myself, the probability of Steven Moffat making them possible is impossible. One thing is certain however, the little girl must be an alien. How else would she be able to call the President through a disconnected phone? And why would she even wear the suit? And who is the “Spaceman” first heard about in the prequel? Is it some higher being that she is obeying or the Doctor? – We know that Donna Noble frequently referred to the Doctor by this name. However, thanks to The Ood Cast, one thing is certain – she has a connection to the TARDIS found by River and Rory. The young girl’s voice that was used to lure victims upstairs is the same voice of the little girl. It is also the same voice as the one Prisoner Zero adopts to tease the Doctor in The Eleventh Hour. Clearly, this is not one ordinary little girl.

One of many random clues in this episode was the hint that Amy was pregnant. For some reason, this news does not sit right with me as it seems out of place in the whole scene. Sure, Amy was seen clutching her stomach in pain each time she saw a Silent, but so did River. And at that moment in time, is Amy telling the Doctor of her pregnancy the most important thing on her mind? It just wasn’t normal. Overall, the last couple of minutes were a bit disappointing and confusing. The slow motion at the end didn’t work for me. It should have been normal speed, because I just found that bit laughable.

River Song... WHO THE HELL IS SHE??? Steven Moffat is really teasing is with the clues to her identity. Apparently she is the most important woman in the Doctor’s life, yet she is scared that the Doctor won’t trust her when he first meets her. Why is River so scared of her past/the Doctor’s future? As a viewer we know that River will be seen again with other Doctors and must be told the Doctor’s name and be given a sonic screwdriver. So, it begs the question, what is so terrible that it makes River scared? Another clue to her identity was given in this episode as River tested the mysterious Lodger-like TARDIS. River could touch the spherical panel thingy without being electrocuted, as humans were in The Lodger. How? Is she a “suitable pilot” then? I, for one, am very excited for the day we find out who she is.

I just love Rory. Last series, Rory was already my favourite character, but in this episode, his personality just takes over the whole situation. In a way, he will be the person that the audience relates to the most. Where Amy, River and the Doctor will know exactly what’s going on, Rory will always be the puzzled one, reflecting the views of the audience, and I think that Steven Moffat has really brought out all of Rory’s emotions in this episode – he’s sympathetic towards River, reassuring towards Amy, and a funny friend to the Doctor. It may turn out that his relationship blossoms with River Song, as things may turn against him with Amy and the Doctor. Speaking of which, isn’t Doctor so bloody pious towards Amy? River couldn’t sway him to trust her, yet Amy made the Doctor trust her and send him on his important mission. Back to the point, I wonder what Steven Moffat has planned for River and Rory to do together, could Rory be the one that River kills?

Thought I’d just mention the music in this episode. I especially loved the music as it really set the scene and there were some pieces that I could listen to again and again. There was a slight contrast to the last series, yet some old pieces were used, making me nostalgic and reminisce about the last series. I particularly loved the music in the Oval Office, it built so much tension and stopped so suddenly, it really was timed perfectly.

The Silence... Oh. My. God. The Silence is so fricken scary. I know they’re scary because I keep seeing them in the corner of my eye. When I first saw the picture of them on the Doctor Who site, I thought that they were related to the Ood, or some random version of them. Perhaps I’m wrong (actually, most likely I’m wrong), but eh Ood do have a reputation for being troublesome and they were seen in the series 6 trailer. But I’m probably wrong... again... I think that the Silence have been seen before, particularly be Amy in the TARDIS*. In The Eleventh Hour, when Amy is first looking around in the TARDIS, she looks around in amazement when it turns to a confused and scared expression. I think that this was a Silent that she saw. Think it’s too coincidental with her other emotions at the time? Then listen to the sound. The sound reflects Amy forgetting the Silent that she has seen. Another occasion that a Silent was seen by Amy in the TARDIS was in The Lodger, when Amy seems to spot something right after the Doctor has told her the TARDIS will be lost forever. Amy gasps as if in fright and is followed by the sound of her forgetting again. On both of these occasions, the viewing of the Silent is hidden because those expressions are expected and it is only the sound that gives it away that there is a Silent present.

Well, this “review” has turned out to be more speculation than anything else, but hopefully I can improve on my analytical skills. As a side note, I’m reviewing these episodes as they come out in Australia. As much as I would like to watch them on YouTube, it’s too blurry for my likings.

Until next time, Adios Amigos!
*Thanks to my friend Jess who pointed the Silence in the TARDIS

No comments:

Post a Comment