Tuesday 17 May 2011

Geronimo! – A Review of Doctor Who S06E03 Curse of the Black Spot


Sorry about the wait me-hearties. ‘Twas not able to view this piece of art until the full moon was present over my ship. Nah, not really, the fastracking is just really crap in Australia and I wasn’t able to obtain this episode from my boyfriend. So I had to wait for it to actually be on TV. Damn.

Now, to the review.
I have heard many reviews about this episode, mainly from podcasts. They are all divided. Half of them like it, half of them hate it. I’m in the former – I found it quite good. I mean, like everyone else, I found it to be a ‘meh’ episode, but it was still decent Doctor Who. There was a decent storyline, a fabulous set and a terrific cast. But I LOVED the Doctor’s dialogue throughout the whole thing. I loved how he tried and failed to make sense of the TARDIS to the pirates. I loved how he wasn’t trying to take over the captains role, but he did and when asked if we wanted to take the lead he said “Darkness, demon, you can have first go.” I also loved the music. Murray Gold obviously drew inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean and it sounded spectacular!


I said I was going to try and write proper reviews, but I really don’t know how. So, I’ll just write what I like and don’t like, just as I did last time.
Good
·         The Doctor hugging the TARDIS and kissing it when he finds it in the sickbay

"Toby!" "Rory!" "The TARDIS!"

Bad
·         I don’t like Amy. I didn’t like her previously because she was always after the Doctor and I felt bad for Rory, but in this episode she blames Rory for saying that the Siren is pretty when he was under an enchantment. It just REALLY annoyed me.
·         I don’t like how the Doctor’s girly sneeze always ruins his position. It happened in this episode and in the Impossible Astronaut.



Weird
·         Where did the other pirate go from the gun powder room when the other went off on mutiny?
·         How did the pirates know how to fly the spaceship? I found a brilliant sketch on this in the latest episode of the Ood Cast (http://www.theoodcast.com) or find it on iTunes by typing in Ood Cast into the search bar.
·         Why weren’t the trio taken to the sickbay when they were on the spaceship?



Recurring
·         Eye-patch Lady: Many people think that she is Amy’s midwife for when she gives birth. I just think she’s a random person

·         Amy’s pregnancy
·         Spacesuit Timelady/girl
·         Seeing as this episode was moved from the latter half of series 7, then, these things will be resolved at the end or series 7, not 6.
Thoughts
·         The whole series seem to revolve around parallel universes. In the next episode, it is set in a parallel universe (sorry, spoilers)
·         The TARDIS was pulled into the sick bay. Does this mean that the TARDIS is sick? Is this because the Doctor doesn’t fly it properly
·         I have noticed recently that the Eleventh Doctor is allowing more and more people into his TARDIS. I don’t think this is particularly good or bad, it’s just you wouldn’t find any other Doctor’s inviting randoms into the TARDIS. First there was Nasreen in the Hungry Earth, then Abigail and Kazran in Christmas Carol, and now Captain Avery.

Favourite Quotes
“We’re sailors! Just like you! Except for the gun thing. And the beardyness.” – The Doctor
“If something’s going to kill you, it’s nice that it drops a note to remind you.” – The Doctor
“Green singing shark in an evening gown.” – The Doctor
“She’s out there now, licking her lips, boiling the saucepan, grating the cheese.” – The Doctor
“That does very very complicated, that does sophisticated, that does woo amazing and that does whiz bang far too technical to explain.” – The Doctor
“Toby! Rory! The TARDIS!” – Avery, Amy, The Doctor

Alien bogies

"A little more laughter please!"

BOO!

Fogging the shiny...

"You should go out with him!"

Swashbuckling

Ahoy me hearties!

Until next time, Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment