Saturday 28 May 2011

Geronimo! A Review of Doctor Who S06E04 The Doctor’s Wife.

Sorry about the late review my sweets. School happened. Next week might be even later, or perhaps I’ll review the whole double episode in one. We’ll see.

Well, wasn’t the Doctor’s Wife a great episode! Definitely one of my favourites, if not my favourite episode I have seen, Old Who included. Neil Gaiman really captured the TARDIS well and Surrane Jones pulled it off perfectly. Matt Smith was once again in his element and I really bought his performance, particularly at the end when he was saying goodbye to Idris. I really liked Aunty and Uncle too, especially when they “just died”.



This episode was spoiled for me. I went onto the BBC website to get the Ood mask and due to broadcast delays in Australia the picture of the TARDIS/Idris ruined the whole episode for me. After this thought, I was completely caught up in the excitement and thought it was a brilliant concept. To personify the TARDIS was just an amazing idea. In confidential Neil Gaiman said that the whole episode is based around the scene where the TARDIS and the Doctor talked. That was the second best scene in the whole episode (the first being the goodbye/hello scene).


Basically, I loved every minute of it. Actually change that, every minute except where Amy was crying over Rory’s dead body, mainly because I just thought, “and Rory’s dead again” and he crying was just annoying. But I did like her crying because I though, “yeah, suck on that bitch! Now, don’t sleep with the Doctor or I will kill you”...



Thoughts
·         Did anyone notice that Amy clutched her stomach when she saw Rory, dead on the floor? Pregnant Amy?

·         What comes to Rory and hurt him? Is it the Silence, as I think that there are Silence inside the TARDIS (kudos to Jess for pointing it out). Did House set the Silence on him? Or was it just House himself? It obviously did happen, but was erased from time by House and therefore reset events for Rory.
·         Why couldn’t Amy see Nephew when it was dark, yet there was a clear sign of light illuminated from the Ood ball? Perhaps House covered Amy’s vision of the Ood ball too.


·         The series is playing on parallel universes: this was in a “bubble universe” and the last episode had universes overlapping. Perhaps the dead Doctor from the first episode was from a parallel universe which didn’t need him. Not that any universe wouldn’t need him.
·         “The only water in the forest is the river” is most definitely a link to a future episode. Or will it be the past episode where River is in the Byzantium forest? This quote was also in the Brilliant Book 2011, so I wonder how many other things are true.
·         In the beginning of the goodbye/hello scene, Matt Smith totally looked at Surrane’s boobs.

·         I really liked how you could see House slowly taking over the TARDIS. You could see the green light slowly enveloping the old control room.

·         The planet looked like an Ood.

·         I found one continuity error. When Idris collapses, her hand is on the Doctor’s arm, then in another shot it is on his chest.


·         I have a theory that the little astronaut girl is a TARDIS. Here’s how I know:
o   The sparkly energy
o   The Doctor trusts the TARDIS enough to let it kill him
o   Both the girl and Idris were sick, their body’s being weak, and it would make sense if the Silence wanted to maintain the girls body.



Quotes
·         “Bunk beds are cool! A bed, with a ladder!” – The Doctor
·         “DIE AMY, KILL AMY HATE AMY” – written on TARDIS walls

·         “Hello pretty!” – From Idris/TARDIS to Rory, then the Doctor being weirded out.
·         “You’re like a sea urchin? Hard outer surface, that’s the planet we’re walking on. Big squashy yoogli thing inside, that’s you.” – The Doctor
·         “You’re doing it you sexy thing!” – The Doctor

·         “Did you wish really hard?” – Amy about the TARDIS being a woman.
·         “Biting’s excellent! It’s like kissing, only there’s a winner.” – Idris/TARDIS


Until next time, Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment