Friday 27 April 2012

Life of a Sweet Witch

A while ago I had to write a fractured/postmodern fairytale. Basically my own version of Hansel and Gretel. At the time of writing I was doing BEDIM, so I took on the format of a blog and called it Life of a Sweet Witch. Now that I've got the assignment back, I can post it on here. I'm quite proud of my fairytale and my tutor said she loved it too.

*****


FAMINE
This famine is getting too much for me. The possibility of finding any animal worth eating is very slim during this winter. It’s also hard to find anyone to let me buy their food as most are scared of my red eyes. Hopefully things will get better.


A NEW HOME
A kind woman came along today. She told me of a house she had built for me, made of cake and sweets. But before she gave me the keys she made me promise one thing... to lure her step-children to my house and give them food. She explained how she had tried to get rid of them before by leaving them in the woods, but they had gone back home. I accepted her offer. As the winter should be letting up soon, I guess I can spare a few warm meals for her children. They could help me to hunt as I cannot do so properly with my poor eyesight.


STARVED
The children arrived today and they looked starved, the poor things. I gave them a good meal, but that used up the rest of my winter supplies. I have now put them to sleep, but I don’t know what to do now. I cannot keep this promise to their step-mother to keep them fed.


SURVIVAL
I have the solution. I don’t like it, but it is necessary for survival. I shall eat one of the children... the boy, Hansel. I think I shall fatten him up first, just so it is a better meal for the girl and I.


I HATE ME
The girl hates me. I don’t know how to explain our necessity nicely. The boy is now in a cage and his sister won’t stop crying. I hate me too, but what else is there to do?


GETTING HUNGRY
The boy isn’t getting fatter. Everyday I send out the girl to hunt and gather berries which I cook and give to him. He gets the best bits of food and yet he’s still thin. His sister and I are getting hungrier by the day as we usually go without a substantial amount of food. Perhaps we should just cook the boy and stop wasting our efforts on him.


NOTHING
I’m writing this from the country hospital’s ICU. I asked Gretel to make a fire and she tricked me into leaning over the flame. She pushed me in, freed her brother, stole my money and ran away. Luckily there was a hunter walking by who took care of my burns. Now I have nothing, especially since the weather has already started to wear away the house. Soon, I will be back to living in my house of sticks.

MEMORIES
The children came by today. They said they were sorry and that they understood I was just trying to survive. They offered me shelter with them in return to be their cook – their step-mother had passed away. I accepted. A home full of bad memories is better than no home at all. And memories can be forgotten.

*****

Until Next Time, Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment