Tuesday 13 March 2012

BEDIM Day 13


Day 13… unlucky for some, but for others (the others who aren’t ridiculously superstitious) a normal day. So far, today has been a normal day.

I had my 8 a.m. lecture today for my education unit. Twas good. We were asked what it meant to be human. For me, being human is just being anatomically correct – you have a body, organs, a skeleton – and is completely different from being a person. In stories, for example, animals can be considered people because they have a personality. But a human is just a physical being; there is no meaning to the word unless you consider a human to be a person.

After the lecture I went with some new friends (yay!) to a computer pod and did some of the reading about Red Riding Hood. It was explained to me that the Red Hood is symbolic of her TOM and the wolf is symbolic of a man trying to lure into his … clutches(?). I cannot read the same story again. Take the line “Little Red Riding Hood took off her clothes and climbed into the bed.”(Charles Perrault) … now that I know the meaning, it sounds slightly wrong…. And then take a sentence from the Grimm version: “‘What’s that you’ve got under your apron?’ ‘Cake and wine…’” It’s not right is it?

Until Next Time, Adios Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment